10/25/12

What Do I Know About Halloween

I asked myself a question - what do I know about Halloween?
Unfortunately the answer was as good as I wish.

So what do we know about that day? ok ok, people are having fun, trick-or-treat, but what else? Of course I checked Wikipedia for some information and here's what I found:
  • a yearly holiday observed around the world on 31 October
  • the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows
  • typical festive Halloween activities include trick-or-treating, attending costume parties, carving pumpkins into jack-o'-lanterns, lighting bonfires, apple bobbing, playing pranks, watching horror movies.
  • was first used in the 16th century and represents a Scottish variant of the fuller night before All Hallows' Day. 
  • the origin of the word Halloween is Christian, the holiday is commonly thought to have pagan roots. 
But what is trick-or-treating?
  • children in costumes travel from house to house in order to ask for treats such as candy with a question "Trick or treat?".
  • The "trick" is a threat to perform mischief on the homeowners or their property if no treat is given.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comment!