9/28/12

Back to Hiking

I discovered hiking in February/March 2012 and I decided to give it a try. I planned to do some hiking for a few weeks and then make the decision if I like it or not.

I had a good plan:
  1. get hiking boots
  2. remember about the gym (well yes...it's good to prepare yourself before hiking)
  3. get camel backpack and hiking pole
  4. shorts, t-shirt, hat and sun-screen etc.

That's it. I decided not to spend too much money for above equipment because I wasn't sure how long I'm going to hike.
Everything was great at the beginning. My friend (experienced hiker) was gentle with me and we went to an easy trial.
I thought - that's fantastic, I can do it. After an 30 minutes I wanted to stop and sit down on the ground, I didn't care. After an hour I told my friend that I don't care anymore and I'm staying in the middle of nowhere. The truth is that I might also wanted to cry (but I'm not so sure about that, I was so tired). Finally we managed to get back to the car.

After that experience I wasn't so sure anymore if I want to continue hiking but then I thought that I can't give up that fast.
Next trial (more difficult than the first one) and the same story: I was the slowest on the trail, people were passing my by. I think there was no person on that trail hiking slower than me! Parents with kids, people with small dogs - everyone was faster than me. And again I think I might mentioned that all I want to do is to sit and don't move for a few days. I think that my friend had a lot of fun.

But again I decided that I can't give up ... not yet anyway. Few more months, few more trials and a few sprained ankles later I was still hiking.

I had to stop hiking at the beginning of August because of the temperature (over 110F).
But for those few months I was able to hike almost every day between 6am and 8am.

...and you know what...I like it.
So far I had to change my hiking boots but everything is great. I have my favorite place for hiking at White Tank Mountain Regional Park.

I was hiking alone most of the time and now I'm thinking of joining a hiking group.

I found few interesting websites with useful information for hikers (beginners):





October is around the corner and I'm getting back to hiking - and as a very indoor person I'm very excited. If you live in West Valley and would like to hike with a beginner, please let me know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comment!